Sunday, April 11, 2010

It doesn't seem fair!

I heard that from our son the other day. Now he's not an 8 year old who can't go play with his friends. He's almost 30 with a wife and 2 kids. They are in some financial trouble and it seems to him that every time they get ahead something else happens. They make great money but are trying to dig out of debt which has been accumulated over the years.

As I said they have 2 beautiful daughters and they both like their jobs. They have a roof over their heads and are in good health. They can pay their bills, drive a nice car, go out to eat and take short trips. So what's the problem? Their plan to be debt free in 5 or so years has hit a snag and it will take much longer.

I listen to their problems and it sounds like so many others. I don't have this or can't do that etc. If being in debt is their biggest concern I say, be happy! Try having a child with a life threatening disease or your spouse have an affair. I would trade debt for my wife's affair any day.

Society has become so focused on money that we have forgotten what really is important. Guys work themselves into an early grave to support a family that wishes dad was home more. Mom busts her butt to get ahead when all the kids care about is will she make it to their school function. We have become consumed by things of this world and not things that are eternal. We save up riches on earth and then lose them with a market crash instead of saving up things that can't be taken from us.

I would hope this economic downturn opened some eyes to what is important. I, like so many others have little or no savings and live month to month but my wife and I are in what we call "the sweet spot". We finally realize what is really important and spend more of our time trying to serve others. In the long run we are only here for a short time and to worry about the car I drive or clothes I wear is not only short sighted but it also places us outside of God's will. When we are in His will everything comes together how He wants it to. Look at your life and if things aren't going how you think they should maybe you should re-evaluate your priorities.

No comments:

Post a Comment