Saturday, May 15, 2010

How Committed are You?

For three straight Saturdays our small church has held a prayer gathering to pray and listen for God's will. We are seeking guidance for a permanent facility and for the funds needed to make that a reality. Our congregation is about 350 with probably a couple hundred attending each weekend. Our average attendance has been seven people at the prayer gathering. SEVEN! Of those seven, six are on staff or part of a ministry at the church. So if six of seven are already part of the church, how committed are the other 200 or so regular attendees to anything the church is trying to do?

Put on a carnival, serve a free meal or hand out tickets to a free movie screening and people will line up. Ask them to serve or at least show up for an hour to help pray and they're too busy. We have become a bunch of consumers. It's always what's in it for me and not what can I do to give back. Perhaps the difference between giving and taking is does the individual consider giving, in any capacity, a calling from God or is it just something we do when we have time and if it makes us feel good?

Our Pastor is a great guy and someone I respect. He is probably above my judgemental attitude but I still have a lot of spiritual maturing to do. He desires a permanent facility where we can serve the community, our congregation and the world and to bring people to the Lord. He believes this is also God's desire but at this moment it doesn't seem to be the congregations. Now maybe I'll be surprised and everyone will open their checkbooks and let the money flow. Sometimes writing a check is easier then actually having to physically do something.

A day like this also gives you a good sense of who has a true love for the church. Those that continually step up to help are the ones you can count on and every church needs them. They will be there when the others fail to show up or a hurting couple needs someone to talk to. It also forces you to rely on God even more. Not just for the finances but also to cleanse your heart of any impure thoughts about those that you think are not as committed as you. What right do I have to think I know what is in anyones heart? Especially when I ignored God for most of my life. I'm just blessed He has kept His hand on me to bring me to this place in my life.

So, you'll show up to work with a 102 temp. You'll go golfing with pneumonia and boating with the flu but will you show up to seek the Lord when asked? Decide whether the things of this world are more important then eternal things and make your decisions accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment