Sunday, February 21, 2010

Dealing with Trials

The car needs $1200 worth of work, AGAIN! That's over $3000 in repairs in the last year. Business is slow and there's no cash in the bank. Why now God and why so much!? It may not be your car. It could be your kids, your spouse or your job. You want to ask God "Why am I going through this?"

As Christians we often think we are immune to the trials everyone else goes through. After all we pray, we go to church, we are in a small group and for the most part we are darn good people! Why God, why this, why me, why now?

Let's see what scripture says. James 1:2 states "Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds." So I'm supposed to be happy I owe money I don't have? The word joy does not mean happiness. Joy is a supernatural experience in the purpose or people of God. Joy only happens to followers of Christ! But why should I still feel joy when I can't pay the bill or my wife won't talk to me? The next verse says "for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness." So a trial is a test of your faith. Trials separate the men from the boys, the imposters from the authentic.

Verse 3 says that trials produce steadfastness. The New Kings James says trials produce patience. Patience, a word we love to hate. In today's "I want it now society" patience usually means "I'll wait until tomorrow before I freak out." Look at Verse 4 "And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing." So we are to have patience until God is done with His work in us for that trial. How long will that be? Ecclesiates 3:1 says "For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven." A season may be a day, a year or a decade. We are to follow God's timetable not ours. But with patience Job 23:10 tells us "But he knows the way that I take; when he has tried me, I shall come out as gold."

Do not be surprised or angered when your trail comes upon you. Look at it as a test from God in which He is preparing you for something greater. 1 Peter 4:12-13 "Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice insofar as you share Christ’s sufferings, that you may also rejoice and be glad when his glory is revealed."

Embrace your trials and feel Blessed that God cares enough about you to put you through the fire.

2 comments:

  1. While I know what you say is true it is soooo hard to follow. My mom is having medical problems and I'm struggling with keeping the faith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you. We often don't know why things happen the way they do. When my wife had the affair it made no sense to me. All that got me through was trusting that God had a plan. If not for that thought I'm not sure what I would have done.

    ReplyDelete